As I’ve posted earlier, I’ve been running Microsoft Windows Media Center 2005 (MCE 2005) for quite awhile and, for the most part it’s great – however I found a utility on the Green Button forums this morning which I wish I’d discovered a loooong time ago.
The problem I’ve had over the last few months is, that intermittently, I’ll get a ‘Video Decoder Error’ and need to restart the MCE box to resolve it. It points to an issue with video drivers, but – from what I’ve read on the forums over at The Green Button, it’s more likely to be related to ones choice of DVD decoder software.
This is by no means an uncommon issue so it was with some surprise that I learned that, this time last year, Microsoft released a utility to check your DVD decoder software. What it does is explained on the Microsoft site, so follow this link and see if it might be the utility that you too have been looking for.