PAIN! (I’ve lost my interweb)

Monday afternoon was painful.

While I was at work, I’d received a notification that my community wireless point had gone offline – this hadn’t happened since I’d switched to my new router, but regardless, I wasn’t too concerned… until I got home. No interweb, then a call on my cellphone “I’ve been ringing and ringing – where are you?”. Oh crap. It appears the phone was also dead (in my defense, what self respecting geek checks a POTS line these days?!).

On the phone to 120 and, after 2 arguments with the automated voice recognition system, I got through to the people I needed to talk to, well – the queue anyway. Fifteen minutes later I had a human on the phone and, nice chap that he was he quickly determined it was an external issue “might be a cut line out on the street or something”, diverted calls to our home line over to my mobile, and told me the earliest I could expect resolution would be “around midday on Wednesday”. Frick – 2 days of no web?!

5/05/2008 10:17 notif The physical state of interface adsl1/0 has changed to Down.
5/05/2008 10:17 notif ADSL1/0 Line Down.
5/05/2008 10:17 notif ADSL1/0 Line Training.
5/05/2008 10:17 notif ADSL1/0 Line Down.
5/05/2008 10:17 notif PPP LCP on interface PPPOA is DOWN.
5/05/2008 10:17 notif PPPoA XtraISP shutdown.
5/05/2008 12:27 notif ADSL1/0 Line Training.
5/05/2008 12:27 notif ADSL1/0 Line Down.
5/05/2008 12:34 notif ADSL1/0 Line Training.
5/05/2008 12:34 notif ADSL1/0 Line Down.
5/05/2008 12:48 notif ADSL1/0 Line Training.
5/05/2008 12:48 notif ADSL1/0 Line Down.

The log above from my router paints a sad picture… What was worse, was my EVDO card was also refusing to connect – no clearing work emails for me!

Update: I’ve just been notified that my wireless point is sending a heartbeat back to the network – looks like I’ll have some DSL loving when I get home.

7/05/2008 8:55 notif The physical state of interface adsl1/0 has changed to Up.
7/05/2008 8:55 notif ADSL1/0 Line Up.
7/05/2008 8:55 notif The physical state of interface adsl1/0 has changed to Down.
7/05/2008 8:55 notif ADSL1/0 Line Down.
7/05/2008 8:55 notif The physical state of interface adsl1/0 has changed to Up.
7/05/2008 8:55 notif ADSL1/0 Line Up.
7/05/2008 8:56 notif PPP LCP on interface PPPOA is UP.
7/05/2008 8:56 notif PPPoA XtraISP started negotiation.
7/05/2008 8:56 notif Switch setting: set interface ethernet0/0 link up.
7/05/2008 8:56 notif Switch setting: set interface ethernet0/0 link down.
7/05/2008 8:56 notif PPP authentication state on interface PPPOA: local authenticated itself successfully.
7/05/2008 8:56 notif PPPoA XtraISP connected successfully.
7/05/2008 8:57 notif The physical state of interface adsl1/0 has changed to Down.
7/05/2008 8:57 notif ADSL1/0 Line Down.
7/05/2008 8:57 notif The physical state of interface adsl1/0 has changed to Up.
7/05/2008 8:57 notif ADSL1/0 Line Up.

Yay – back to business – and a surprising increase in speed (165Kbps/15.259Mbps) reported by the router – however, SpeedTest didn’t quite agree (hurrah for traffic shaping 🙁 )

New Results from SpeedTest.Net (via WiFi connected Notebook)